Monday, December 14, 2009

Y'all owe me big time!

I just got home from the most horrendous post office trip.
I had three packages I needed to ship and I didn't have boxes big enough at home so I was just going to take them to the post to buy the boxes there. I (stupidly) forgot to bring my own tape, stuffing, address labels, etc. so I had to buy 2 boxes, 1 large envelope, a roll of bubble wrap, and a roll of packaging tape. But backing up to the parking lot, I had my arms full of packages AND I was trying to maneuver the stroller with Gabe in it. There was a line clear out the building but I went right in so I could package everything first.
I was at a counter trying to figure out which box to use and how I could get the most out of my small roll of bubble wrap and Gabe is screaming, trying to get out of the stroller and everyone is staring at me. So I get him out and try to entertain him with brochures on personalized photo stamps. Nothing is going the way I wanted it and there was too much room in both the boxes and I refused to open another package of bubble wrap if I didn't need to. I was going to take the unlabeled, untaped boxes up to the desk and see if they could fill it with peanuts or something.

I put Gabe back in the stroller and put my stack of boxes on the floor and I start making my way to the back of the line pushing the stroller and scooching the boxes with my foot. A nice older man let me cut in front of him, saying that I had been there longer than him. I was standing in line trying to entertain a wiggly, fussy baby when I realized that I needed to have the addresses on them already or the post worker would be very cross with me, so I tried writing on the envelope while holding Gabe but that wasn't working. I then realized I would have to get out of line to write on all of them! By this point I was so flustered, I wasn't thinking clearly. So I hop out of line, go to a counter and start trying to write the address on the envelope. The nice man insisted on pushing my stroller along in front of him to save my spot. I finally get the envelope written on and just figured I would have to leave the boxes blank so I could ask about the packing peanuts. You follow?
So I get up to the front of the line and decide I can't push everything, so I push the stroller against the wall so I would have one less thing to worry about. The nice man offers to lift my boxes up onto the counter for me. I thanked him hastily, and he left before I was done. I wish I could have thanked him more properly. Anyway the postal worker was very pleasant but said that they didn't have peanuts. I would have to buy more bubble wrap. Drat! But he helped me out by giving me a box that would fit better for one package and then opened up a new roll of bubbles and packaged the larger box for me. Then he gave me labels to fill out while he packaged. So again, I'm trying to write with one hand and hold Gabriel with the other and he was writhing and screaming and when Gabe gets mad, he gets vengeful. So he tries to grab the pen and throw it, and then he tries to grab the label and throw it. Sigh.
Anyway, that all got worked out and I paid for my TWO rolls of bubble wrap and the packages and started to leave. Then, in front of the entire crowded store, I remembered my stroller on the other side of the room, tried to turn back to get it and did a very classic slapstick slip on the slick floor. Kill me. Red faced, I grabbed my stroller and ran. I loaded up the car, Gabe instantly fell asleep, and I got half way home and realized in my haste, I had stuffed the new roll of tape into my purse and hadn't paid for it! Now I have to go BACK and pay for it!
So, to sum it up, you three who are getting my packages, just know what a hassle your presents were!! :) Just kidding. I really do love sending presents, just next time I'll do it on Nate's day off so I can go alone!


Fonzi Mama said...

Thanks Rachie... sorry it was such a hassle!!!

Elaine Brown Billings said...

That was quite an ordeal. How I remember having similar ordeals like that with small children. Keep saying to yourself . . . it will get better, it will get better, it will get better!

Usandthings said...

I had an experience like this once except it was at a fabric store. I was buying fabric for the kids' Easter dresses, and I was holding Nora and Lillian was on the loose. I don't remember all what happened, but there were toppled displays and lost children, and I was very very sweaty by the time we got out of the store. I just remember crying on the phone to my mom as I drove home and she told me to write it down (which I didn't) so I could laugh about it later.

Tyson and Chelsea said...

Yikes! And I thought my postal experience was bad!

Amy said...

haha. you are so brave to do things on your own...i don't have the courage yet...i always wait for jeff to come home and help! way to go super mom :)